1908, a new federal government building to house both the post office
and customs was erected. Made with rough-hewn local limestone it was
an imposing two and a half storey structure.
The ground floor
was post office space, while the second store and receiving area at
the rear were used by Canada Customs. The third floor, under the mansard
roof, was fitted up as an apartment for the janitor and his family.
The St. Marys Journal reported “…the fixtures in brass and
oak are exceedingly handsome as is the interior of the building”.
The post office
was a vital link in the community especially during both World Wars.
of construction was $40,000.
this Historical building has been a restaurant.